8th Life Skills (Guidance)
8th grade Life Skills is offered every day for one quarter. The course was developed as a direct result of student input desiring guidance skills taught every year and the need to revisit important topics taught throughout the middle school guidance curriculum.
The course includes four units:
Unit 1: Self-Awareness
* Discover individual personality tendencies
* Examine how different personality tendencies affect one another.
Unit 2: Relationships
* Differentiate between the destructive/constructive elements of relationships.
* Examine quality of personal relationships.
* Discuss guidelines for ending relationships while maintaining dignity.
* Know/comprehend the three stages of relationships
* Propose ideas for prevention of violence in relationships.
Unit 3: Stress Management
* Identify causes and symptoms of stress, depression and suicide and specify positive management interventions.
* Recount and discuss the minimizers and maximizers of stress
Unit 4: Healthy Choices
* Identify the warning signs and health risks associated with having an unrealistic body image.
* Examine and evaluate the benefits of sexual abstinence.