6th grade students take guidance every other day for one semester. Topics addressed include: goal setting for productive living, career exploration, positive strategies for dealing with the emotional and social changes that occur during adolescence. Other topics include coping with stress, anger and depression and strategies to prevent suicide.
Unit: Setting Goals for Productive Living
- Examine their personal abilities, skills, and interests as they relate to the world of work and explore careers.
- Compare productive, nonproductive and destructive life patterns.
2. Growing Deep Not Just Tall: Handling Emotions During Adolescence
- Examine the range of emotions experienced during adolescence.
- Apply thinking-feeling-acting, to a variety of situations typical of adolescence.
- Practice positive anger control methods.
3. Coping with Difficult Situations
- Recognize how difficult situations affect individuals and their families differently.
- Identify positive strategies for dealing with difficult situations.