5th grade students have guidance class every third day throughout the
school year as part of the exploratory block. The
students will learn skills for creating a safe, bully-free environment, building positive relationships with
friends and family, and how to make healthy, ethical decisions. Students will also learn normal reactions to loss and and best ways for handling the loss. The curriculum consists of these topics:
1. Building and Maintaining Relationships in Safe, Bully-Free Environments
Identify positive relationship traits and including and excluding characteristics in friendship.
Practice positive conflict resolution skills.
- Create a safe school environment.
- Identifies the cycle of violence
- Identifies types of abuse.
- Identifies resources available to those in situations of domestic violence and other bullying environments.
2. Coping with Loss: Death and Divorce
- Recognize the preciousness of life.
- Identify experiences as they relate to losses.
- Explain the stages of loss as they relate to various situations.
- Identify positive strategies for coping with various losses.
3. Decision Making with Character
- Demonstrate using the steps of the decision making process.
- Evaluate whether decisions made, demonstrate good character.
- Define the character traits that contribute to employability